A pre-roll is a per screening element. It is a short video that runs before the film (or a group of films). It usually serves for the promotion of a festival/organization and for thanking sponsors. A pre-roll cannot be skipped by the users. You all know pre-rolls from Youtube and e-newspapers.
Adding a Pre-roll and a logo
Adding a pre-roll to screening is simple and straight-forward:
In the About the Event, click on Promotion/Sponsor Details.
Click on Upload Preroll and wait until it’s completed. Do not close the page until the process ends. Accepted file formats are Quicktime (mov) or MP4.
To add a logo, click on the image placeholder and upload an image. Accepted file formats are jpg and png.
The logo will appear under the event description and will be resized automatically.
- Pre-rolls must be uploaded and not embedded.
- As a pre-roll is part of an event, you need to upload it separately for each event.
- Please DO NOT use the Media Manager for pre-rolls. The Media Manager relates to videos uploaded as “films” in the sense that they have descriptions, credits, posters, etc., while a pre-roll is basically a video without any title and metadata (for the end-user).
- Please follow the general media guidelines when uploading a pre-roll: MP4 or Quicktime (MOV) files and around 5-6 Mbps. Please do not try to upload ProRes, MXF, and other types of delivery files, but only compressed videos.
- When uploading, please stay in the window until the upload is completed.
- Pre-rolls are not encrypted, because they are outside of Movies Everywhere general system. we assume you use pre-rolls for promotional purposes and therefore wouldn’t need them to be encrypted. So if you need to safeguard the pre-roll file, do not use it as a pre-roll and consider editing it into the movie file and upload them together.
- Since pre-rolls cannot be paused or skipped by the users, we recommend using them for short videos only. There is a reason for it: If there’s a network failure on the user’s side, he or she will be forced to watch the pre-roll again. With short pre-rolls, the chances that would happen are lower.